We Had a Miracle Happen Today!

Friday, July 25, 2008

When we went in the office, the OB said, "I'm sorry...there was nothing left on the ultrasound, so I would recommend you have a D&C." I told her I couldn't do that. If I was going to miscarry, I wanted to miscarry naturally. We went immediately to the car and I called my infertility doctor. I talked to his nurse and she was shocked that they had told me that and wanted me to come to the office right then. Once again, we drove into Charlotte to the office.
We went in and explained what we had been told. Dr Whiteside immediately did an ultrasound and we got the shock of our lives. There, right there on the ultrasound screen, there was a baby with a HEARTBEAT!!!!!! We were so shocked that Chris literally almost fell out of the chair. We had FOUR people before look at our ultrasounds and tell us there was nothing there. How could two techs and two different doctors have missed that? If we had listened to the OB doctor, we would have killed that living baby by having a D&C. Dr. W said that most people are not trained to see what he does and that what happened to us probably happens a lot. He said everything looked fine and to go home and come back next week. So, in one short week, we have gone from pregnant, to "there's nothing there", to "yes, there is something there..a baby with a heartbeat." What a week. I have to say that I have lost faith in our healthcare system this week. At the same time, I have learned a very valuable lesson...ALWAYS get a second opinion. It could mean the difference between life and death.


0 comments: